Selling a Massachusetts Home Starts with Picking a Top Realtor

Bill Gassett Massachusetts RealtorSelling a home today is not like it used to be back in the middle of this decade. Quite honestly when you needed to sell a home back then it was as easy as selling an ice cream cone to a kid on a warm Summer day. Boy has the landscape changed!

Back then the 3 P's of marketing always worked...Put a sign in the yard, put it in MLS and pray:)

When you are selling a home today in Massachusetts you better be darn sure you do your homework on who will be representing you. Selecting a great Realtor to market your home should be one of your 1st considerations.

As someone who has been selling Real Estate for the last twenty four years, I can tell you with certainty that the agent you select will have the greatest bearing on whether you will be happy and successful. In Real Estate there are some very good agents and some that are not so good.

In my eyes there are three traits that you should looking for when selecting a Realtor. These traits include the ability to price a home properly, a well designed marketing plan, and someone with effective communication skills.

Lets face it we all want our homes to sell for the most money. It is human nature. We all think our home is better than the guy that just sold down the street. Many home owners make the biggest mistake by going with the agent that gives them the highest price.

Guess what...there are unprofessional agents that know some people make decisions based on emotion Failed Massachusetts home saleand not logic. They tell you what you want to hear to get your business. Once they have you under contract and the home has been on the market for a while they start to badger you for price reductions or worse say nothing. You may be thinking what is the point of having an overpriced home? Some agents just don't care because they are drawing calls from buyers that could be making them sales elsewhere.

So how do you avoid making a poor decision picking a Realtor? Here are three tips:

• Ask good Real Estate interview questions. Look for a Realtor that has a good track record. Past success is usually a good indicator of future success. Ask for references from the agent. I would suggest asking for some of their most recent sales and not from some hand picked list that you know is going to give them glowing reviews.

• Look over the market evaluation very closely. Do the comparable sales look similar to your home? Remember you need to be looking at this information through the eyes of a buyer. If a similar home down the street had a brand new top of the line kitchen and your home does not, don't expect to be getting the same price.

• Picking a Realtor based on the price they give you is really double trouble because more often than not you are stuck with a lousy agent and an overpriced home. Even an outstanding agent will have difficulty selling an improperly priced home. See why Massachusetts homes expire.

Marketing a Massachusetts homeThe 2nd trait that most good Realtors have is the ability to market well. Today this includes the ability to market on-line. The days of people finding homes by looking in the classifieds and the local magazine rack are over! Almost 90% of all buyers find their homes by doing some kind of on-line search.

As a home seller you should be looking for a agent that has a very strong web presence. By web presence I don't mean putting it into the Multiple listing service (on-line) and Realtor.com. While these things are important they are what every Realtor does.

For example if I am a buyer and I am going to be looking for homes or condos on-line, I am probably going to go to Google and punch in something like:

• Hopkinton MA Real Estate
  • Holliston MA homes for sale
  • Westboro MA homes

or something similar. An agent that can come up on the 1st page of Google for these terms knows what they are doing, as these are the most competitive terms to rank for.

When doing these kind of searches today you will also notice that the agents that really know their way around the web 2.0 have started a Real Estate blog to market their properties. Google loves blogs because they are not static like websites. The best blogs are updated on a weekly basis and because of this get quite a bit of "Google juice". Besides this blog, here is what one of my other Massachusetts Real Estate blogs looks like.

Besides a website and a blog you want to make sure that your home is found in the places where the most consumers visit. One of the things I am most proud of as an agent is my ability to have my clients homes or condos all over the place on-line. Here is a list of the most visited Massachusetts Real Estate sites for selling a home or condo.

Of course the Realtor is going to need your cooperation as well. In a competitive market you want to make sure your home stands out from the competition. Homes that are in less than ideal condition will take a much bigger beating in a buyers market. At the very least you want to be making sure the place is clean and uncluttered.

Lastly, you want a Realtor who communicates with you on a consistent basis. Most sellers want to know what is going on with the process of selling their home. Who wouldn't! Make sure the agent has a plan to keep you informed. Does your Realtor call every agent after the home is shown to see what are the agents/buyers thoughts?

How is this information relayed back to you? One of the things I do for my clients which they really appreciate is a feedback report that can be viewed on-line. We give the client a password to the site and they are the only ones besides us that can see it. It keeps them in the loop on what buyers are saying and they just love it! The feedback helps us as well because if we see a pattern in the comments we can make suggestions to address the issue.

In conclusion, I am going to leave you with a compilation of the top ten tips for selling a Massachusetts home. What you will be reading is a list of things to consider that I have already mentioned here, along with others that are expounded upon in much greater detail.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

About the Author: The above Real Estate information on Selling a Massachusetts home starts by picking a top Realtor was provided by BillRE/MAX Executive Realty Metrowest Massachusetts Gassett, a Nationally recognized leader in his field. Bill can be reached via email at billgassett@remaxexec.com or by phone at 508-435-5356.

Have a home to sell in Metrowest Mass? I have a passion for Real Estate and love to share my marketing expertise!

For Metrowest Massachusetts Real Estate and homes see Massachusetts Real Estate. Want to have MLS access to beat other buyers to your dream home? Sign up with no obligation at my MLS Property Finder Site.

I service the following towns in Metrowest Massachusetts: Hopkinton, Milford, Southboro, Westboro, Ashland, Holliston, Franklin, Framingham, Mendon, Upton, Hopedale, Medway, Grafton, Northbridge, Uxbridge, and Douglas MA.

Click here to view Bill Gassett's Real Estate profile.

Building lasting relationships by helping people move in and out of Metrowest Massachusetts for the last 24 years.

Bill Gassett is a thirty-two year veteran to the real estate industry. He enjoys providing helpful information to buyers, sellers and fellow real estate agents to make sound decisions. His work has been featured on RIS Media, National Association of Realtors, Inman News, Placester, RESAAS, Credit Sesame and others.

Comment balloon 42 commentsBill Gassett • December 26 2009 01:27PM

Comments

You certainly set a standard for the rest of us, Bill.  Your clients are definitely in good hands.

Posted by Jane Peters, Los Angeles real estate concierge services (Home Jane Realty) over 9 years ago

Jane - Thanks! I always give my best...it helps that I am a workaholic:)

Posted by Bill Gassett, Metrowest Massachusetts Real Estate (RE/MAX Executive Realty) over 9 years ago

Bill - great advice, for sellers as well as for the agents who don't think these things are important. No doubt Metrowest Boston has a valuable resource for their buying and selling needs.

Jeff

Posted by Jeff Dowler, CRS, The Southern California Relocation Dude (Solutions Real Estate ) over 9 years ago

Jeff I firmly believe the reason there is no much disatisfaction in the Real Estate industry is because many consumers do not take the time to really consider who they choose to represent them. Far too many times it is either the agent that tells them what they want to hear or the seller that does one interview and just goes with the person.

Very well done, without question you are the dominant REALTOR in Metrowest, MA when it comes to online marketing. And after reading the most recent NAR report I wasn't surprised to see the number of consumers who begin their home search online has continued to increase and build every year.

Posted by Lynda Eisenmann, Broker-Owner,CRS,CDPE,GRI,SRES, Brea,CA, Orange Co (Preferred Home Brokers) over 9 years ago

Hi Bill, great post, and I LOVE your interview questions! I am guilty of not educating my prospective better and taking the time to explain to them how this industry works and why the right choice of agent is so crucial for them. Thanks for the reminder, and have a fantastic 2010!

Posted by Susanne Novak, ABR, FIS, GRI (RE/MAX 24/7) over 9 years ago

Lynda & Suzanne - Thanks very much. I provide the list of interview questions at my 1st meeting with a perspective seller. It is amazing how many people do not think to ask these kind of questions. It certainly gets a seller in the right mind set and eliminates an agent that doesn't do any business from any possible consideration.

Bill, excellent blog, but the title said it all in just nine short words "Selling a Home Starts with Picking a Top Realtor".  And you are one of the top Realtors in Massachusetts to get the job done.

Posted by George Souto, Your Connecticut Mortgage Expert (George Souto NMLS #65149 FHA, CHFA, VA Mortgages) over 9 years ago

Top notch advice here Bill.

This should be required reading for sellers as well as many agents new and old alike.

Congratulations on the featured post my friend!

Posted by Craig Rutman, Raleigh, Cary, Apex area Realtor (Helping people in transition) over 9 years ago

George and Craig - Thanks for your comments. I hope you both have a successful and prosperous 2010!!

You sold me!  If I were selling a home in Metrowest, I'd be calling you!

Sue

Posted by Sue Wettstein Brazzel & Dipper Wettstein, "Fast, Efficient, Hassle-Free Service!" (Howard County, MD - RE/MAX 100 - Columbia MD) over 9 years ago

Bill, Your marketing is unbelievable...I love the way you truly show your beautiful listings and include all the information about them.  I've also see you blog and your website; as a matter of fact, your blog comes up so high in searches I usually receive an alert when I comment on one!  I wouldn't hesitate to refer you to anyone looking in the beautiful areas you serve.

Posted by Laura Cerrano, Certified Feng Shui Expert, Speaker & Researcher (Feng Shui Manhattan Long Island) over 9 years ago

I think this is true in any market -- you need a professional who becomes an expert in the client and their needs.

Posted by Aaron Vaughn | Builder | Investor, If the deal makes sense, the cash will follow. (Conifer Homes) over 9 years ago

Hey Bill.....

I like the way you market yourself and your properties. Professional all the way. Clean, neat, informative and pleasant to look at.  You have my vote for a referral in your Metrowest Ma area.

Hope your Christmas was wonderful. Come visit Seacoast Nh when the weather warms up!

Best regards,

Patricia/Seacoast NH

Posted by Patricia Aulson, Realtor - Portsmouth NH Homes-Hampton NH Homes (BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY HOME SERVICES Verani Realty NH Real Estate ) over 9 years ago

Hi Bill,As I was getting to finsighing reading this , I was all set to tag it for featuring. Too late, the great moderators know good stuff when they read it.

When you were discussing the communication skills, since this is one of my really hot buttons, people should know that some real estate professionals can be excellent or not so good in this area and it will not show up in an interview.

Here is what I propose. Everyone sould have a past cleint list. If the agent gives you these names, there were probably successful transactions and the client would always give a good referral when asked.

Here is how you might find out about the communication skills. As the agent being interviewed to give the names of the real estate agent that worked opposite of. At random call and the one question to pose is, out of 10 points , how would rate this agent's communication skill?.

It might be not the easiest thing to do, but I would guess a seller would get some interesting scores to the question.

Posted by William Johnson, Retired Real Estate Professional (Retired) over 9 years ago

Bill -- You really have it going on.  If I were looking for a realtor in your area, I would hire you immediately AND be confident you would get the job done.  You absolutely know what you're doing and know what has to be done to stay on top of the game and get those listings sold!  Your online marketing site list is THE most extensive I have ever seen. I have to check out those I have not heard of and add them to my arsenal.

Thank you for a most informative post and all the best to you in 2010.

Posted by Barbara Altieri, REALTOR-Fairfield County CT Homes/Condos For Sale (RealtyQuest/Kinard Realty Group, Fairfield and New Haven County CT Real Estate) over 9 years ago

Exellent tips Bill!

Posted by Sally Lawrence, Broker, CHS, e-Pro, SFR, REALTOR® (Advantage Real Estate) over 9 years ago

Marketing on the Internet is one of the keys to success in this market.  My last three listings were a result of my Internet presence.  The sellers Googled my area for several key words and there I was. (and I answered my email when they requested further information)

Posted by Scott Guay, Associate Broker. Ocean City and Ocean Pines MD (Berkshire Hathaway Home Services PenFed Realty) over 9 years ago

I don't go back to the Dark Ages but I do remember the agents having their books of available homes for sale. So much easier today.

Posted by Richard Lecinski (Long Realty Company) over 9 years ago

William - Your thought about asking a co-broke how the agent performed is an interesting one. It would be interesting to see how honest these people would be. I know plenty of Realtors that would try to muscle their way into an interview with the seller.

Everyone thanks for all the compliments on my Real Estate marketing...it is much appreciated!

Great post Bill....while I still do some things old school you have showed what works and we all need to follow. Thanks. Have a great 2010

Posted by Dennis Duvernay Broker/Owner (Hillview Realty) over 9 years ago

I remember that 15 years ago on a listing appointment that if I didn't advertise in the local newspaper and magazines I wasn't going to get the listing. 5 years ago if I didn't have a website that replaced the newspaper as a the question. Last year it was will my listing be on Facebook, Craig's List, youtube.com, etc. It seems that the kids are educating their parents for what to ask.

Posted by Joe Pryor, REALTOR® - Oklahoma Investment Properties (The Virtual Real Estate Team) over 9 years ago

This is one of the most important things a seller can do. I love your points about looking at the marketing, the CMA, so many agents I know aren't even doing them. They go on reputation only. Then the sellers are disappointed.

Of course you are the BEST anyone could choose in Hoptkin.

Posted by Missy Caulk, Savvy Realtor - Ann Arbor Real Estate (Missy Caulk TEAM) over 9 years ago

I know if I ever need a Top REALTOR in Massachusetts there is no one but you that I would consider.

Very well put together article - thanks for sharing.

Happy New Year,

John

Posted by John Occhi, SRES,CPRES.ePRO - Temecula-Murrieta CA Real Estate (Mason Real Estate) over 9 years ago

Very well written blog Bill. Without a question you are not only a dominant realtor in Hopkinton,MA BUT YOU ARE A DOMINANT REALTOR IN THIS BUSINESS PERIOD. One day I hope to be as good as you are. Congratulations on the featured Gold star. Great post.

Posted by Lanre-"THE REAL ESTATE FARMER" Folayan, I don't make promises.I deliver results.SOLD HOMES (Keller Williams Select Realtors-Buy a home in Washington DC. Sell a home in Washington DC) over 9 years ago

"The Realtor you select should have their own website and it should come up in local Real Estate searches. The ability for the site to come up in searches is of the utmost importance. An agent can have the most gorgeous website out there but if it does not come up in searches it will not help YOU sell your home."

That's all fine and dandy, and I'm not sure about your market, but in this area it doesn't matter who your listing agent is - your home will be on every agent's website in the area. Sure, your listing agent won't be able to capture buyer leads as effectively if they don't have a high ranking website, but in the long run it makes zero difference in selling your home.

I have very recently recreated my career, and I'm in the begining stages of developing my business plan, so believe me when I say I've put a lot of thought into this. An agent who spends thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours on his or her website and SEO every month is more in the business of generating leads than selling homes. That's fine, it eats up their time and marketing dollars like you wouldn't believe, but it doesn't help sell their listings any better than anyone else's listings.

So tell me, is it better for the seller to contract with an agent who focuses their business on selling homes, or one who focuses their business on SEO, website management, and prospect harvesting? I will wager that it doesn't matter to the seller. The agent with the fancy website will have the listing on his/her website anyway, through the IDX feed, as will all of that agent's competitors.

I know there are agents who literally spend hundreds of hours every month on SEO work, who pay local college kids to write blog articles, who spend thousands of dollars every month for the fanciest real estate website in the state - to what end? They're a prospecting machine, with great systems for following up with each lead as they come in, but they're following up on leads for everyone else's listings too.

Just a little something to think about...

Posted by Nick Snow over 9 years ago

What I forgot to mention, is that I think it's far more important to have an agent who actually writes marketing remarks AND who takes as many photographs of the property as their MLS will allow to be uploaded. Those photos should be quality photos, and show the features that will sell the home.

Ask your potential listing agent to show you some of their current listings online - are there dark photos? Washed out? Out of focus? Snow-covered homes in the middle of July? Were the photos taken with a camera phone, or does the agent have/hire professional grade work? Are there any marketing remarks? Is everything spelled correctly? Does it make sense? Does it paint a picture that will intrigue the prospective buyers and encourage them to take a closer look?

I think far too often we, as agents, forget that we're supposed to be selling HOMES, and instead focus on selling ourselves far too often. Buyers don't care about us. Sellers don't care about us. They care about getting the best deal possible on the home that they want to buy or sell.

Good marketing remarks with good photos will help sell your home on EVERY website out there. Clients should DEMAND this of their agents.

Posted by Nick Snow over 9 years ago

Nick my advice to you is to throw away the plan you have in place about "re-creating" your business. If you don't think having a highly indexed website and blog are important then you are missing a big part of what marketing is about.

Every agent out there has an MLS IDX feed. There is nothing distiguishing about that. I would encourage you to take a look at my website. A consumer visiting the site is not going to call me because I have an IDX feed, they will call me because of the content on the site and what I bring to the table as an agent.

The lead generation from both buyers and sellers is from being found in on-line searches! Without leads there would be no sales so I am confused about the statements you have made. Consumers tell me all the time the reason why I am being chosen to work with them is because they see my sites and properties everywhere!

By the way, you are also mistaken when you make the assumption that I spend thousands of dollars on my website and SEO. I spend very little on it because I know as much about SEO as most webmasters do. It actually isn't that hard if you invest the time to learn about it.

My website and blog are put into a well coordinated plan that involves social media as well. Nick I don't want to sit here and expound upon my accomplishments to you but I know what I am doing works very well as I am ranked in the top 100 for RE/MAX agents in the US. My team is currently ranked #2  in Massachusetts.

Oh and of course I do agree with you that good photography is a must.

Just a little something to think about.....

great post Bill - I love it when I compete with other agents in an interview format - have never lost a listing then - I will definitely encourage that more in my 2010 marketing

Posted by Randall Sandin, 843-209-9667 - Search for Charleston SC Real Estate (Carolina One Real Estate) over 9 years ago

Bill - Well said !  I so agree with you regarding choosing the right Realtor will often be the difference between success and having a property that does not sell.  The same principals exist here in Philadelphia as well.

Posted by The Somers Team, Real People. Real Dreams. Real Estate. (The Somers Team at RE/MAX Access) over 9 years ago

Bill picking the right agent can make all the difference.  I know from you track record any buyer are seller would be wise to use your service,your marketing speaks volume.

Posted by Jennifer Fivelsdal, Mid Hudson Valley real estate connection ( JFIVE Home Realty LLC | 845-758-6842|162 Deer Run Rd Red Hook NY 12571) over 9 years ago

Bill great post as usual.  Always great information.

Posted by Kevin Vitali, Helping Massachusetts Home Buyers and Home Sellers (EXIT Realty- Massachusetts Short Sales & Residential Sales) over 9 years ago

Great post - advice every home seller should heed.

Unfortunately, real estate is no different than any other profession - it follows the 80-20 rule. You've given homeowners a good guide for finding an agent in the top 20.

I know many listing clients are unhappy, because an article I wrote years ago is still one of my most viewed on EzineArticles.com each month. It's entitled "How to Fire Your Realtor."

Marte Cliff, Real Estate Copywriter
www.copybymarte.com

Posted by Marte Cliff over 9 years ago

Bill - I take it the part that confuses you is where I said that most agents are in the business of lead generation, instead of selling homes. Let me explain a little bit on that, and see if it makes more sense. When you take a listing, the presentation you give to the seller is essentially your marketing plan, what you intend to do differently (in theory) than the next agent, to get their home sold, right? How much of your actual marketing is an attempt to sell that particular home, versus how much of your marketing is designed to attract buyers (and/or sellers) to hire you as their agent for any other transaction? You have a phenomenal amount of information on your website, and you're quite successful at it, so please don't take this as criticism, but just a different viewpoint.

Twitter, Facebook, Linkdin, ActiveRain, Craigslist - by and large these are free services that we use to try and get the word out about a listing, but are we really getting the word out about that listing, or are we just reminding everyone that we're in the business and they should remember to call us with their real estate needs? How many sales have you made directly because of a Tweet/blog/status update announcing that particular property?

The highly indexed website is great for attracting potential buyers and sellers - but it's a lead generation tool, not a tool for selling a particular house. If I was in your local market, I could tell my clients that their home would be able to be found on every website in town, including yours. Having the listing agent's website be highly ranked with search engines does not benefit the seller any more than listing it with someone else and having it come up on ALL agents' websites through the IDX feed. While being featured in the "Our Listings" section nets it an extra location on one website, it's not going to be all that big of a deal unless it's something that is featured without too many clicks.

I don't know the extent of the SEO competition in your local market, so I cannot speak towards that. I know that in my market there are agents who spend countless hours every night working on SEO. There is pretty stiff competition. One team requires all of its agents to blog X times every day. Another team hires college English students to write blogs and post them. One team has over 700 registered domains all across the country and is building websites on a weekly basis for those domains. My old boss teaches courses on SEO and social marketing - I know the gist of it. I also know roughly how much he spent for the "second best real estate website in the country".

There comes a point when the consumer will start to wonder where enough is enough. Sure, it's a great website, and he drives an awesome SUV, and he's got almost half of the office for his team, and $$$...... but is that agent or team really any better than working with a more or less independent agent whose overhead isn't even 1/10th as much? The high dollar teams are lead generation machines, but does it really matter? As a seller, my home will be on their website courtesy of the IDX feed, buyers inquiring with their agents about my home will be actively hounded with repeated calls, emails, and mailings even if I didn't list my home with them.

I spent the first 3 years of my career basically as a buyer's agent, and I'm always learning. Twenty-four years ago I was in the 2nd grade, so obviously I stand to learn a great deal from someone with your expertise but I've also got a different background and different goals in mind. I know what top agents/teams do to try and convert leads. I also know what they do to sell homes in this area. The NAR survey from a month or two back that I read about tends to back that up. What was it, 36% found their home through their agent (mls), 36% found their home through the internet (mls input and craigslist mostly), 12% found their home by hopping in their car and seeing yard signs, then a chunk were word of mouth or direct from the builder, and a handful found their homes via print advertising.

At any rate, I'm definitely in a different place right now. I'm planning on moving across the country in 6-8 months and I don't want to spend a lot of time or energy trying to build a website and get it to rank organically on Google/Bing in that short of a period, only to leave the area. I'm trying something different, something new (for me), and something that may not be all that popular with the establishment. It may not work. It might flop really hard, but I'm going to go for it. If it does work though, it will prove that you don't need a fancy, highly ranked website to succeed, all you really need to do is price homes properly and use your MLS and free internet advertising to the fullest.

Posted by Nick Snow over 9 years ago

Nick while I understand a little better what you are trying to get across I don't really agree with what you are saying for a number of reasons. 1st let me address the 1st question you asked about "How much of your actual marketing is an attempt to sell that particular home, versus how much of your marketing is designed to attract buyers (and/or sellers) to hire you as their agent for any other transaction?" The answer is that my marketing is done both for my clients benefit and secondarily my own.

I am getting the impression from you that I should be apologizing for that?? Real Estate is a "sales" business. Everyday we not only try to sell a product but also our services.This is certainly nothing I will ever be ashamed to admit. In fact it is part of the reason why I do so well.

I am still trying to figure out your statement ~ "The highly indexed website is great for attracting potential buyers and sellers - but it's a lead generation tool, not a tool for selling a particular house." Please tell me what is a tool for selling a particular house?

Again your point about websites being lead generation tools is of course valid, what you are missing ties into a statement you made above "but in this area it doesn't matter who your listing agent is" I don't care if you are from California, Alaska or MARS for that matter that statement is borderline ridiculous.

In every business there are great people and not so great people. In most businesses the rule is 80/20 where 80% of the business is done by 20% of the people. Did you know Nick that in Real Estate according to NAR 94% of the business is done by 6% of the Realtors?

According to your logic anybody can list a house and the agent you choose has no bearing on the home sale process? Absolutely not! In less than a minute I could come up with 20 names of agents that could screw up a free lunch never mind do what is necessary to sell a home.

What I will say is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. There are some agents that are excellent that don't have a fantastic web presence. As we move forward though having a web presence is going to become more important. This is the way society is moving. Those that are ahead of the curve will do well.

Like I already mentioned SEO is not that hard. I am not sure why you are critical of the people in your area that are investing time in it. I can tell you with 100% confidence that their efforts are not being wasted.

Whatever it is that you are doing I will wish you luck.

Ok well I had about ten pages written, but then decided to truncate my message. When I say that it doesn't matter who lists a home, I'm sticking with the assumption that the who in question is going to price it appropriately, take good photos and upload the max allowed, write the verbiage allowed, and then propogate the listing information out to the appropriate websites (AR, CL, FB, Twitter, etc. etc. etc.). It doesn't matter if Agent Y's website is even in the first 20 pages of Google hits, so long as that listing is in the MLS feed that the top websites use - that home will be on the site that does come up as the first hit, and the second, and the third, and the pay-per-click sites too. Buyers who are searching from homes don't care if they find it on the listing agent's website, by and large.

I too know that SEO isn't hard, my old boss teaches SEO and social networking classes and it's something that he integrated deeply into his business. I also know that it negatively impacts his personal life since he's so driven that he sometimes stays at the office until 11pm or later just working on SEO. It's definitely not a wasted investment, professionally, as it does generate future leads. I didn't mean to imply that it was a waste, but depending on the level of business a person wants to achieve, it may not be a mandatory part of their business.

Bill - I'm going to shoot you an email instead of continuing on here. You and I are different at our very core - you got into real estate in part because of the sales aspect, I got into it despite the sales aspect. I looked at some of the agents in town I had the displeasure of dealing with when I moved to town and bought my house, and figured if those chuckle-heads can make it, I certainly can too.

At any rate, please look for my email. I do value the opportunity to talk shop with those who have it down.

Posted by Nick Snow over 9 years ago

Bill - What a thorough and well-stated discussion on picking a top Mass real estate agent!

Posted by Wendy Rulnick, "It's Wendy... It's Sold!" (Rulnick Realty, Inc.) over 9 years ago

This is a great list for picking an agent anywhere- someone who can accurately price the home, market it, and communicate! You must have all 3! Way to go- Happy New Year!

Kristi

Posted by Kristi DeFazio, Colorado Springs Rea lEstate 719-459-5468 (RE/MAX Advantage) over 9 years ago

Nick - It was great speaking with you. I hope that whatever direction you end up going in it is a successful one!

Wendy & Kristi - Thanks very much for the compliments!

Great post, Bill.  You know, if I ever have someone making a move to or from MetroWest, you are my #1 person to refer them to.

Posted by Kathryn Acciari, Brand Ambassador and Business Coach (Century 21 Real Estate) over 9 years ago

Kathryn - Thanks very much! You can expect that you client would be treated very well!!

Choosing the right agent is the first step . The agent can then take care of every thing else. Great post.

Posted by Gita Bantwal, REALTOR,ABR,CRS,SRES,GRI - Bucks County & Philadel (RE/MAX Centre Realtors) over 9 years ago