How Real Estate Agents Fail At Social Media

Real Estate social mediaThe concept of social media unfortunately goes right over a lot of peoples heads. Most Real Estate agents have been en-grained into thinking that everything they do surrounding their business should be about marketing and advertising. Many in the industry take this thought process and translate it to social media.

If you want to make social media really work for you then you really need to remove the bulliten board mentality from your social media efforts. Social media is not about advertising or personal promotion. Social media is about building relationships!

I think you would agree the best of the best here at Active Rain are successful and well recognized in blogging circles because of how social they are. A successful blogger not only shares good information but they also reciprocate and communicate well with others.

This same kind of interaction should also take place at other networks as well whether it is Facebook, Google Plus, Twitter or Linkedin. In many of these social media venues there are unwritten rules that should be followed. Most of the time these things are just general common sense. There are however far to many real estate social media blunders taking place that make our industry look silly in front of consumers. I would recommend that you click the previous link and read the article. If you agree and would love to see improvements in our industry please share this article across your social media networks.

You will find a discussion about social media mistakes on each of the most popular social media networks including Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus and Linkedin. I hope this article stimulates some thought and if you make these mistakes maybe you will reconsider your social media strategy.

Connect with me on

Comment balloon 109 commentsBill Gassett • April 02 2013 05:05AM

Comments

Great article and I love the full article that you linked to.  I've been guilty of some of these blunders in the past, but I think I'm getting better now.

Posted by Debbie Gartner, The Flooring Girl & Blog Stylist -Dynamo Marketers (The Flooring Girl) over 4 years ago

Great Post and the link provided a lot of information. You see many of the mistakes mentioned and SEO is pretty new to all of us.

Posted by Noah Seidenberg, Chicagoland and Suburbs (800) 858-7917 (Coldwell Banker) over 4 years ago

I am so uneducated in the arena of social marketing that I'll read any information that I can get on it.  I was told just the other day that I need to put my listings in the very places that I was just now told not to.  I do understand why not to now, though.

Posted by Roger Stensland, Let's Move! (The Cascade Team Real Estate) over 4 years ago

Think customer. Think saving time, gas of the customer. Take the talking head me me me back from the spotlight, check the ego. Then replace that time spent on the social media circuit with something another person could use, that is helpful. We are a service industry. Can I help you, is there anything I can get you, is everything peachy keen at your table, on your vacation? Is your shopping experience helpful or how can I improve the experience, the connection and be your real estate agent, broker for life? The one you tell your friends about as he made the process easy, education, fun and not a nightmare. I did not feel neglected, avoided, used, or as a stepping stone for his or her career.

Posted by Andrew Mooers, Northern Maine Real Estate-Aroostook County Broker (MOOERS REALTY) over 4 years ago

Watched a friend one day "like" about 60 posts in 60 seconds. Does it nearly hourly. He said, "If I friended them, they have my support... pretty much no matter what they post." His business is lucrative, of course!

Posted by Kristen Correa, Broker, I love coffee & real estate. I am out of coffee! (Kristen Correa Real Estate) over 4 years ago

Bill it's amazing how many FB pages I go to and see nothing but a string of AR posts.  No interaction with anyone.  It's reminds me of one hand clapping.  A lot of effort but no results.

Posted by Cindy Jones, Pentagon, Fort Belvoir & Quantico Real Estate News (Integrity Real Estate Group) over 4 years ago

Thanks guys I appreciate all the compliments. If you can take a few moments and head to the article I would really be thankful if you could share to your social networks!

Posted by Bill Gassett, Metrowest Massachusetts Real Estate (RE/MAX Executive Realty) over 4 years ago

My favorite part of the other article is when you call certain types of social media users baffoons. Amy I spelling that right? I still have much to learn--great article.

Posted by Melissa Zavala, Broker, Escondido Real Estate, San Diego County (Broadpoint Properties) over 4 years ago

Thanks for the post , it is helping me understand more about cultural changes in the industry.

Posted by Chuck Mixon, Cutler Bay Specialist, GRI, CDPE, BPOR (The Keyes Company) over 4 years ago

Excellent article.  I'd say the one thing I see a lot of with agents online is they publish articles to their social networks that offer little value to the reader and no way to engage.  They might post something about mortgages but the article isn't really locally relevant or useful - thus no way to engage.

Posted by Bryan Robertson, Broker, Author, Speaker (Intero Real Estate) over 4 years ago

Great post on this.  I have said forever that this buisiness is not about transactions, its about people!

Posted by Paula McDonald, Magnolia Realty ~ Granbury, TX 936-203-0279 (Magnolia Realty ~ Granbury) over 4 years ago

Someone once told me that social  media is like being in a party. . you don't go from group to group interjecting that you have a NEW LISTING. .

Posted by Fernando Herboso - Broker for Maxus Realty Group, 301-246-0001 Serving Maryland, DC and Northern VA (Maxus Realty Group - Broker 301-246-0001) over 4 years ago

Shared on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Google+

Well said, Bill!

"Bulletin Board Mentality".   "Personal Promotion".  "Invite People from across the Country to a minor Local Event".

Posted by Fred Griffin, Licensed Florida Real Estate Broker (Fred Griffin Real Estate) over 4 years ago

Bill, This is very timely information for many of us. I certainly want to stop making all those blunders on my Social Media Groups. I know you are right on time about networking and building relationships.

Posted by Jerry Newman, Texas REALTOR, San Antonio Military Relocation (Brown Realty, 210-789-4216,www.JeremiahNewman.com) over 4 years ago

People buy from people first...so ...WHO ARE YOU is a great place to start and a relevant question too...good post

Posted by Richie Alan Naggar, agent & author (people first...then business Ran Right Realty ) over 4 years ago

So true, so true.  I have seen agents right here on AR that do nothing but post listings.  Consumers want to get to know you and find out what you know.  What better way to learn about someone than through their posts.

Great post!

Brigita

Posted by Brigita McKelvie, Associate Broker, The Broker with horse sense and no horsing around (Cindy Stys Equestrian and Country Properties, Ltd.) over 4 years ago

Bill, you are right it is not about advertising but about social conversations. Connect and then move offline.

Posted by Gary Woltal, Assoc. Broker Realtor SFR Dallas Ft. Worth (Keller Williams Realty) over 4 years ago

Social media is an item that I try at but feel that I am way behind the curve on it. I have a page but not sure what to do with it. I post my properties talk to my clients but no leads come from it.

Posted by Laura Filip RE/MAX UTOPIA | 903-271-4978, Your locally owned RE/MAX OFFICE (RE/MAX UTOPIA , Serving all of Texoma ) over 4 years ago

Great information and so true. I would also like to add that content is so important!  Make it interesting and relative. Every Realtor has the capability of selling a home, it's a given.

Posted by Tonia Rahming, Relocation Specialist (RMS Realty, St Lucie, Martin and Palm Beach Counties) over 4 years ago

I agree with you, Bill.  'Throw enough mud at the wall and some of it will stick' is not really the best marketing approach.  Seems like there are those who've substituted 'spam' for 'mud' and this is their only strategy.  No personal contact or interaction whatsoever.  I don't get that at all ....

Posted by Carie Shapiro (North Shore Suburbs & Chicago Real Estate) over 4 years ago

Fred - thanks very much for sharing on your networks! Very much appreciated my friend.

I hope everyone gets a tip or two from reading this.

Bill well said. There are too many agents that think that because there are so many people on Facebook they should get to use it as a free marketing tool. Facebook is a relationship building tool everyone!

We teach this concept and share this information with as many people as we can find. We just need more like you out there sharing the message!!!

Wrote this blog awhile back that might help some of the readers here take it to another level - http://activerain.com/blogsview/3377925/facebook-etiquette

Oh and posting a photo quote without adding anything to it is almost as bad as a listing!

Posted by Chad Hyams (Ember Seminars and Keller Williams Southeast Region) over 4 years ago

I agree with you Bill. Social Media is not only a venue to promote our products/services, rather it is an avenue to build good relationship with potential and existing customers.

Posted by Ridhi Raheja, FHA, 203k, VA, Jumbo, PreApproval, Jumbo Home Loan (Movement Mortgage (Illinois)) over 4 years ago

Bill, you're right about developing relationships. This is a people-to-people business.

Posted by Michael Setunsky, Your Commercial Real Estate Link to Northern VA over 4 years ago

Good post.  Social Media does need to be social.

Posted by Ira Bodenstein, NMLS#: 445143 (PNC Mortgage) over 4 years ago

Where have you been, by the way? I agree, and I have two FB pages that are really just blog posts and no interaction. I have others that are social and sometimes include links to my more business-oriented pages.  I have more work to do, but I'm just getting going!

Posted by Brad MacKenzie, Turning Houses into Homes on the South Shore (Brad MacKenzie) over 4 years ago

Very well put. It is not all about quantity and keywords but what is going to get you the deal. SEO is important for website placement but not all social media helps with SEO. I did however sell a home because of a connection on my Facebook page that I would not have otherwise made. I have about 60+ realtors I work well with on my facebook and google + and the info we share does make deals happen.

Posted by Gayle Beyer, Port St Lucie FL Real Estate Broker (Welcome Center Realty 772-336-8583, FLA777) over 4 years ago

Bill, You've been a fountain of information on this topic. Thank you and I will be checking our that link right now.

Posted by Linda Greco Rich, ABR, SRES, Harford County Specialist (Exit Preferred Realty) over 4 years ago

Hi Bill ~ Once again you've written a great article that explains why being "social" is more important than anything else -- you are so right that those who do nothing but post their listings soon get silenced by their circles.  Thanks for always sharing the best info with us!

Posted by Maureen Bray Portland OR Home Stager ~ Room Solutions Staging, "Staging that Sells Portland Homes" (Room Solutions Staging, Portland OR) over 4 years ago

Thanks for the link to the article! Yes, it is very important to understand that you are building relationships and communication is key.

Posted by Trisha Bush-LeFore, Providing Realtor Services in the Walla Walla Area (Preferred Properties Land & Homes) over 4 years ago

Bill, Good to see you are still carrying the torch for social networking !!

I commented on a few of your other similar posts.

I am not a fan of social media, BUT, I find your opinion passionate  and your points well stated.

I am still go over to the " dark side " !!

Have a good one.

Bryan

Posted by Bryan Beckstead, KOmKards, Care-Connect-Communicate, on auto pilot, 24/7., Become a KOmKard owner today, ( Start MAXIMIZING the Internet.... Kommunicon.com) over 4 years ago

This is a timely article as I am trying to find ways to engage on most of these sites. I suspect I'll make some mistakes along the way but trying to disseminate information can be a tricky thing.

Posted by Tammie White, www.FranklinHomesRealty.com or (615) 495-0752 (Franklin Homes Realty LLC) over 4 years ago

Is almost artistic the way we need to dance through social marketing. It's difficult to straddle that line of not enough and too much web presence.

Posted by Matthew O'Hare (Foreclosure Prevention Advocates) over 4 years ago

Bill

You said "Social media is not about advertising or personal promotion. Social media is about building relationships!". This may be one of the most compelling statements in this post. Simple in concept but so often not done.

Jeff

Posted by Jeff Dowler, The Southern California Relocation Dude - Carlsbad (Solutions Real Estate ) over 4 years ago

Bill - I miss your sage advice here in the Rain.  I'm off to read the article.

Posted by Christine Donovan, Broker/Attorney 714-319-9751 DRE01267479 - Costa M (Donovan Blatt Realty) over 4 years ago

Bill- That appears to be other agents in my area. Works for me as they are not getting results from it. Interesting though as some even teach classes on it. HA!

Posted by Janis Borgueta, LIC RE Salesperson - Hudson Valley Homes for Sale (Key Properties of the Hudson Valley ) over 4 years ago

Thanks again everyone for all your great comments. I know many of you have proper social media etiquette down. When you see someone that doesn't or maybe get one of those nutty Facebook invites you can just drop them the link to the article as a suttle hint:)

Thanks for sharing. Your article provided great information I will use when writing my next Blogg or post on Facebook or Twitter. Biggest take away, I will be socially engaging.
Posted by Misstie Pollard, Answering Northern VA Real Estate Questions. (Realtor and Title Settlement Agent) over 4 years ago

I agree ONE HUNDRED PERCENT with this!!  Nice job explaining it Bill.  I always tell clients that these platforms are not another real estate website.  Driving the traffic to a website is a nice side effect, but interacting and having a presence is what I feel it's about.  I'm sure we've all heard the cocktail party comparison.  Any way, thanks for explaining it better than I ever could have.

Posted by Sarah Cole, Strategic Social Media Consultant (Strategic Digital Marketing Consultant - http://www.coleconnectmarketing.com) over 4 years ago
Great read and info, Bill. Thank you!
Posted by Michael Dunsky, NMLS ID 21372 (Guaranteed Rate ) over 4 years ago

Thank-you for the clear way you put this - it was very useful to know that I am moving the right direction.

Posted by Matthew Ody (Gateway Property Services) over 4 years ago

Many good points made Bill. I have to agree with you social media should be about building relationships to be useful as a tool for realtors.

Posted by Michael Murphy (Bienvenidos Real Estate) over 4 years ago
Sounds like sound advice
Posted by Marlene Dietrich, Neighborhood Real Estate Specialist (Marlene Dietrich Real Estate) over 4 years ago

It's been an on going learning process for me.  I grew up in the tell, tell, tell era and so it's been a little hard for me to switch it around.  I like to watch what the younger people are doing and try to copy it some how.  I figure they have this social media stuff down :)

Posted by Christine Pappas - REALTOR®, Northeast Ohio Homes - Ohio RE/MAX REALTOR (RE/MAX Results) over 4 years ago

Maybe I am misssing the most important part of the business, but my business is doing just fine - means, I have all I want, really! - I do not have tme to "build relationships" with 100s of emails and posts every day. I honestly think this "social media" stuff to secure clients is BS!

AR is good for the agent to agent info but to just chat or post or email with dozens of people every day - Who has time?

Of course, my business model is an outlaw type thing. Maybe that's why I am profitable and the local C21, Remax, Coldwell, Weichert, KW franchises are going broke and merging trying to survive. Reckon their agents are too busy using Social Media and not getting the job done?

Something is wrong!

I am not knocking social media, just saying I don't use it and my RE business - a one man brokerage - is humming right along.

Posted by Marvin Shelley over 4 years ago

Thanks for the great insight. I have been slow to embrace "social media" as I am more of a personally social person.  I can stare at a blank page all day trying to come up with useful information to share in a blog. I wonder who will see it and why am I stating the obvious that has been said a thousand times before. I reject those sites that offer you content for a blog, that is not me.  In the end, I have the tools and the competency to engage in social media but as long as I do not believe in it as an essential part of my life, I guess I will hold back. As you made perfectly clear, better to do less than to do lame things for the world to see.

Posted by Dorothy Beckley, D. Beckley Realty (D. Beckley Realty) over 4 years ago

While I agree we need to be more social, not sold on social media entirely and there are other agents who agree with me.  However, I can't rule it out just yet.  I do think that blogging is a good thing, but things like FB, not sure about that just yet.  I know of some obvious uses, but again not sure about it.

Posted by Brien Berard, Maryland Real Estate Agents - Laurel Real Estate (Remax Professionals Laurel MD) over 4 years ago

if you build it they will come.

i agree, develop relationships, share good ideas, stimulate thought...what you desire will come to you

Posted by Jay Beckingham, "I love first time homebuyers" (Eagle Home Mortgage) over 4 years ago

WOW! I thought I was the only renegade. I see that Dorothy # 46 and the couple # 47 and Bryan might be renegades, too!

Posted by Marvin Shelley over 4 years ago

Great info, thanks for the article link... now to implement...

Posted by Paul Silver, Rhode Island full service real estate firm over 4 years ago

You can't be a taker and expect something back every time. Give and you'll get, but not because you expect it, because you built a relationship. Thanks, great post.

Posted by Scott Seaton Jr. Bourbonnais Kankakee IL Home Inspector, The Home Inspector With a Heart! (SLS Home Inspections-Bradley Bourbonnais Kankakee Manteno) over 4 years ago

Hi Marvin, While I do like to think of myself as a free thinker, I do not feel like a renegade, but as someone who really works at real esate. I participate in spaces like this to learn and share but look at it as a professional site.  As for creating new "relationships" on social media, I'm just not there.  I have noticed that successful bloggers often leave their original business to become full time bloggers, motivational speakers, writers.  To me this means they found their true passion in life! Good for them, I love that and enjoy their writing. I am always open to seeing the light on social media but can't help feeling it is yet another diversion from my work. Just sayin...

I'm not sold yet on social media, even though my daughter does it for a living for a corporation.

Somehow I think there is a lot of hype behind it, being pushed by Facebook and Twitter much less others who have fallen by the wayside.  Remember MySpace, Geocities?

Yes, if someone has something TRULY relevant to say then it may be of some value to someone else, but a heck of a lot of the posts out there are self-serving junk.

Don't get me wrong, A/R is a completely different model of interaction and I enjoy coming here to learn and hear other perspectives.

A guy by the name of Malcolm Gladwell had these thoughts...

“It(social media) makes it easier for activists to express themselves, and harder for that expression to have any impact.” Because “social networks are effective at increasing participation - by lessening the level of motivation that participation requires.” In other words, “it succeeds not by motivating people to make real sacrifice but by motivating them to do the things that people do when they are not motivated enough to make a real sacrifice.”

"Are people who log on to their Facebook page really the best hope for us all?

Posted by John Dotson, The experience to get you to the other side! (Preferred Properties of Highlands, Inc. - Highlands, NC) over 4 years ago

Great Points! I took a class yesterday for Zillow and one of the points I liked best was in the ABOUT ME Sections of ALL OF THESE  Social Media sites we are on, we should say VERY LITTLE About Ourselves and instead post links to BLOGS we've written. Thought there was a lot of value in that, depending of course on what we post for the consumer benefit. Most people are only tuned into WIIFM, so it makes sense to give them that!  Joy

Posted by Joy Carter & Jeff Booker Brother and Sister Team, Trust Your Family's Move To Our Expertise! (Keller Williams Parkland/Coral Springs Realty-GreatFloridaHomes Team) over 4 years ago

Bill--I had to read the link to make sure I wasn't guilty of the blunders...whew....I'm okay. You are such an awesome resource when it comes to social media for real estate!

Posted by Teri Eckholm, REALTOR Serving Mpls/St Paul North & East Metro (Boardman Realty) over 4 years ago

Great message, Bill.  We all need a wake up once in awhile and this is mine today.  Thanks.

BTW I just subscribed to your blog so I don't miss any of your good tips.  Have a good day.

Posted by Mary Yonkers, Erie/PA Real Estate Instructor (Alan Kells School of Real Estate/Howard Hanna Real Estate) over 4 years ago

I think you have to do what works for you. My goal is to get them in front of me in person. If social media makes that happen....then cool. Most times it is working the phone for me.

Posted by Bill Reddington, Destin Florida Real Estate (Re/max Southern Realty) over 4 years ago

Personally, I hate all this social media stuff. I do it under duress. I like to think that overall I stay in touch with whom I want to stay in touch by more personal methods and the rest is my business life. Mixing the business with social just sets my teeth on edge. There don't seem to be boundaries any more. And how often have I looked at social media posts and thought: TMI! Did I really need or want to know this?

Posted by Nina Hollander, Your Charlotte/Waxhaw/Fort Mill Area Realtor (RE/MAX Executive | Charlotte, NC) over 4 years ago

Great post and a great reminder.  This is why I have a Facebook business page.  I post my real estate related info there and my personal Facebook page is mostly other stuff.

Posted by Frank Castaldini, Realtor - Homes for Sale in San Francisco (Coldwell Banker ) over 4 years ago

WoW!! I found about 5 minutes a day on AR, about 5 minutes a week on Twitter are all I have time for. Once my FB account was canceled and the above limits installed it was surprising how much time was wasted. That time has been put back to work with positive results.

Posted by John Rakoci, North Myrtle Beach Coastal Carolinas (Eagle Realty) over 4 years ago

VERY good article that you linked to. I think I'm doing the right stuff, but will re-read it and take notes so I can do some tweaking. THANKS!

Posted by Travis "the SOLD man" Parker; Associate Broker, email: Travis@theSOLDman.me / cell: 334-494-7846 (Team Linda Simmons, Enterprise, AL 36330) over 4 years ago

It's important for people to understand that social media products are really just tools to help you do things that were done offline before they were created. The trick is, learning how to use the tools to their potential.

Posted by Dana Hollish Hill, Associate Broker (Hollish Hill Group, Keller William Capital Properties) over 4 years ago

To make it in today's Real Estate market you must be involved in Social media unless you know everyone personally in your community and that wont even work because people move into those towns from out of state. Facebook, Linkedin, or course AR for sure, Twitter to name just a very few.

Great post and thanks for the link to the whole article.

Posted by Todd Anderson, Park City | Deer Valley Real Estate (You In Park City group - KW Park City Keller Williams Real Estate) over 4 years ago

Great post and surprised by many comments regarding the ineffectiveness or lack of participating in using social media as a marketing tool. I'm not engaged in social media because I see too many issues with unwanted posts and comments from strangers that are inappropriate and sometimes vulgar.

Marketing is all about getting the suspects converted to prospects, so if it works for the people engaged in it, great, but how much is it costing them in time? Measuring and quantifying your time is essential to determine your profitability and if your ROI is profitable enough, social media is a great tool, isn't it?

Posted by Kimo Jarrett, Pro Lifestyle Solutions (WikiWiki Realty) over 4 years ago

Bill I read deep into your post and found out that putting a Zillow widget on my Website would make zillow rank over my site. Well I am not going to do that....thanks

Posted by Dolores "Dee" Mauriello, Realtor, Homes For Sale Wayne NJ (Weichert Realtors) over 4 years ago

Wow, I'm amazed at how vehemently opposed some folks are to Social Media. I don't know why it's such a hot button topic- things are changing, folks! Just use it for what works for you. I'm a social person and love to interact via Facebook. I set up a separate business page for my work and keep my personal page for, well, my personal stuff. I can't count how many clients I've gotten from my interactions on FB. I know it's not for everyone, but I'm hardly a fresh out of college 20 something, but I know enough to accept this new technology and use it the best way I can, for now. When it changes, I will see if the new change works for me then. Good luck, ya'll! I love Facebook!

Posted by Claire Newman (Windermere NW RE Mt Baker) over 4 years ago
Bill: I, too, read your linked blog and am in total agreement. Now I need to follow your advice.
Posted by Hella Mitschke Rothwell, Hawaii & California Real Estate Broker ((808) 226-1095 or (831) 626-4000) over 4 years ago

its very simple...Today agents either dont have the time to do this or

they are hobby Realtors and cant make the time to implement.

Thats Ok, it just leaves more business for the Best Agents that know

how to manage their time

Posted by Ron Aguilar, Mortgage & Real Estate Advisor since 1995 (Continental Mortgage) over 4 years ago

After reading this post and all of the comments, it is clear that there are many ways to successfully market a business. Do whatever works for you and be consistent!

Posted by Sharon Parisi, Dallas Homes (United Real Estate Dallas ) over 4 years ago

Great blog. There is so much stuff that we can learn or have to know everyday.

Posted by EKO KUNTJORO (remax noc) over 4 years ago

Bill - good use of Social Media and success in Real Estate are 2 different things. In my area if you look at those , who dominate AR, we do not dominate the local real estate market. Same with practically every other area.

If you take top producers, overwhelming majority are not on AR.

A lot of them do not do social media.

Can Social Media help in Real Estate? Maybe.

Can people do not be engaged in Social media and be highly successful in real estate? Absolutely.

Majority of top producers prove it day in and day out.

Iit is up to every agent to decide whether they want to concentrate on building few real relationships or keep throwing the net for all those thousands of loose virtual relationships.

It is not that if you do not do Social Media in real estate, you are dead. It is also not that if you do Social Media and do it right, you will have success in real estate.

I can give you examples of people, who were great bloggers on AR with tons of posts, and good ones, and who failed in real estate and left.

Posted by Jon Zolsky, Daytona Beach, FL, Buy Daytona condos for heavenly good prices (Daytona Condo Realty, 386-405-4408) over 4 years ago

Bill - basically, all I wanted to say is that you CAN BE A SOCIAL MEDIA LOSER, and be very successful in real estate. But it took me a whole lot longer in my first comment :)

Thanks for your post Bill.

Far be it for me to poo poo the relevance of social media in today's world.  It certainly is.  HOWEVER, to what degree is it effective?  To what percentage of your business can you attribute to social media?  Social Media is as important to real estate today as having a web site became years ago, but that doesn't mean you will see an increase in your business.

If your point is that people have gratuitous accounts on Facebook but don't use them effectively....I agree 100%.  Some people are just there and really have no grasp of what SM is all about.

Posted by Dave Leiderman, ABR, SFR - Realtor - DE & MD Beaches (Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage) over 4 years ago

Bill, It is harder for some of us older agents because it is so contrary to what we are comfortable with. If we commit to use social media then we need to play by the rules and use it as a tool to grow our businesses. There are those that can be successful without it but just how long do they plan to stay in the business? The younger generation is so at home with it and really believe those they connect with are their friends and that is how they will make some of their buying decisions.

Posted by Debbie Reynolds, Your Dedicated Clarksville TN Real Estate Agent (Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices PenFed Realty, Your Clarksville Real Estate Professional) over 4 years ago

Once again the eyes of the nation have turned here to this tiny village in western Pennsylvania. Blah Blah Blah Blah! ~Phil Connors: Groundhog Day

This aptly describes the locales of those that I looked up in the comments here who dissented with a social media as a viable part of success in a real estate business. Now before you get your feathers ruffled, I didn't check on everyone, just enough to establish a correlation. The dissenting crowd that I checked up on come from towns so tiny that you could hang up a sign on your front door with a blinking LED and get business.

The overwhelming majority of real estate agents have no such luxury and need to do everything in their business using every form of media possible. If you can't see the value of making social connections with other business people and real estate agents then I have to wonder why you are even on ActiveRain leaving comments to begin with.

Oh yeah, I also noticed that some of the contrarian folks don't have a RainMaker account or blog-  just an empty profile in one case.

This may sound mean, but it isn't meant to be. It's meant to encourage adoption at appropriate levels of media that is not going to go away. I can remember a time not that long ago when many real estate agents felt they "don't need a website." Well, ♪ ♫♪ ♫ The times they are a changin' ♪ ♫♪ ♫

Posted by Dave Keys, Chief Search Strategist Real Estate SEO Expert (MOVE UP in Google Search Learn How Here) over 4 years ago
Great post! Keeping business more or less confined to biz pages is one way to keep from overstepping with social media! K
Posted by Kathy Schowe, La Quinta, California 760-333-8886 (California Lifestyle Realty) over 4 years ago

Great post Bill.  In today's socially active society you go where your clients are.  If your client base is on Facebook you'd better have a presence there.  The same goes for Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Google+, etc.  The mistake people usually have is that they try to 'sell' on whatever site they choose.  Social media is the place to share things, cultivate relationships, build common interests and 'oh, by the way, I'm a Realtor if you ever need anything'.

If your client base is of the age where electronics are foreign and confusing, use the phone or drop them a hand-written note.  They may not need anything right now, but they will think you are the best Realtor just because you said hello.

My point?  Make the connection, cultivate the relationship, let your business come naturally.  Don't try to sell yourself to people you don't really have a real friendship with because you'll just be another pushy salesperson.

Go out and make it a great day!

Posted by Kelvin Wallin, ABR, RMS, RELO (Windermere-Centralia) over 4 years ago

Whoa Dave. I see that you are in the business of SEO.  So, this idea of RainMaker and thesse real estate professionals working so hard at their online presence to MOVE UP on Google is to your liking,  your thing.  There is a whole big world out there and many ways to live.  Just because we don't all embrace your world does not mean that we are lesser or worse off than anyone else.  I am on this site to learn and share with other Realtors for my own education not to optimize my placement on Google. For whatever reason, people who want to do business find me just fine.

I think my biggest problem is not using social media enough.  I have just not had the time.

Posted by Gene Riemenschneider, Turning Houses into Homes (Home Point Real Estate) over 4 years ago

the more I think about this social media stuff the more I think of it as a buzz that will fade in time ... statistics of even FACEBOOK show that more and more people are spending less time on it ... yes, I realize social media is the "thing" now and believe will always be here in some form or another ... I also do believe it is a time robber from doing our business ...

Posted by Lehel Szucs, REALTOR of choice (All Seasons Real Estate, Inc.) over 4 years ago

WOW there are some really interesting comments in here.Keep in mind that I have never said that you need to do social media in this article. What I have said is that if you do social media at least try to do it well. In other words don't look like a fool in the eyes of the public because you are not using common sense.

While I do agree there are some very good agents who do not regularly use social media as part of their game plan, that is the exception more than the rule. Like a couple of people have mentioned blogging is a staple of social media. In fact your blog should be the a major part of your social media game plan.

BTW - for those are you who think social media is a fad you are nuts. Social media is engrained into our society and is only going to grow in strength as a form of communication.

Saying social media is a fad would be like saying MLS is a fad and we should go back to MLS books.

One of the best articles on social media I have read in a long time. May I add something? It also applies to e-mail. We are innundated daily with e-mails from fellow Realtors who feel they have to tell us about every new listing, every new price change, every sale and even send us their newsletter! Wow have they ever heard of the Multipple Listing System where I get the property information I need?

This is why I like Active Rain. There are always blogs with real and interestiing content.

As for Social Media I will go by what my grandfather used to say" If you do not have something intresting or of value to say, keep your mouth shut and listen to those who have."

Posted by Gloria Marina (EWM Realty) over 4 years ago

Bill--

Thanks for all the info and a big KUDOS to you for telling other agents WE DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR SUCCESS. Also,if you need Facebook to advertise your listing, you're too dumb to realize that there's a gazillion other websites that target your market much better---that's not the purpose of Facebook. It just makes them look stupid.

If an agent doesn't want to use Facebook, then that's ok too---but why would you give up an opportunity for relationship-building? Seems rather short-sighted to me!

Posted by DEBORAH STONE (PACIFIC HOME BROKERS, San Diego, CA) over 4 years ago

Dave in #76:  I find your comment pretty comical.  You blather on about those who really stress Social Media, and knock those who are not Rainmakers... and on and on.  Yet I go to YOUR profile page and check out not only your points... which isn't really important, but I also checked your points DISTRIBUTION.

You have 94,918 in points from "blogging... writing blog posts" and 10,525 points from commenting on other people's blogs and blog posts.  So this is balance?  I don't see much meaningful two-way communication, or very much of an effort to build relationships at all.

It's all one-sided.  In this case... the Phil Connors and his blah-blah-blah (from the movie Groundhog Day) appears to be your tactic.  I don't see very much of a two-way street.  I see the gigantic imbalance of a One-Way Street.  No give and take... almost no giving back to others on the posts they write.  I have in general seen that blogs that are that self-centered... produce very little results.

So, how's that one-way street workin' out for ya?

Posted by Karen Anne Stone, Fort Worth Real Estate (New Home Hunters of Fort Worth and Tarrant County) over 4 years ago

Deborah - Did you read the article? The reason I ask is your comment does not make sense to me? Are you agreeing or disagreeing with what I said.

Karen if I were met with your kind of whack-on-the-head comments more, I might comment less often as a prophylactic response to the caustic welcoming committee. Nonetheless, you're looking at overall numbers since 08 which, if measured in the last year or two, would be quite different. Mostly, in AR as of late, I've been commenting, not blogging much.

Here's a little formula that as a former Jr. High School teacher you might appreciate: comments <>relationship building : relationship building = relationship building and that happens on lots of places: G+ (are you on there?) and "dark social" (ie. telephone) and anything else.

I don't see much effort from your comment toward building a relationship with me or do I mis-read you?

Maybe you should wear the Jr. High teacher hat a little less prominently when commenting on others' comments?

Dave, the great majority of my comments to anyone and everyone at Active Rain are almost always positive, welcoming, and very helpful.  Very typical of how I taught in my nine years of teaching in Junior High.

As far as me "whacking" you in what I had to saw... to me I was merely responding in kind.  We kind of took turns in being "whacker" and "whackee."

The very last thing I would ever be accused of... in general... would be being a member of a "caustic welcoming committee."

I will admit to one thing, however, and that is that I allowed the negativity of your intitial comment to dictate the tone of my comment back to you.  Perhaps that was more than a tad ill-advised.  As far as my trying to "build a relationship" with you... well, I just wasn't.  I need more foreplay first... LOL.

I DO see the value of making relationship connections with others on Active Rain.  To me it is the most "personal" of the available choices.  Google+ and even Facebook to me... and this is my opinion... to me they are very much like the old AOL chatrooms.  I would much rather pick up the phone and call and personally chat with folks on Active Rain... even if I have not chatted with them before.  It's usually more of either a congratulatory comment, an attempt at helping solve a problem, or just to chat.

Another great way of judging whether one is perceived as a "giver" might found by checking the number of those on AR who subscribe to their posts.  Here is a link to that list.  Top 100 AR bloggers - by number of subscribers - Real estate blogger.

Have a wonderful evening.

[Thanks for the space, Bill.  Sorry to take up so much.  Have a great month.]

Heres what happens to people not interesting or simple selling by showing...I SKIP OVER THOSE POST, I don't read the post cause it a self pat on the back or an AD! In fact most post these days on FB are a waste of time, they post all day long, over and over about limerick, sayings or "who remembers"! God sakes people. Show something good. Say something worth reading. If I am going to promote (and I do at times) it will be usefull to those that read it, for instance, I might post about the BBQ being cartered by a friend to promote his bbq sauce, so come n by beteween 12-4pm today, I'll be at 1122 Oak ave. would love to see some of my friends and catch up and BTW The oceanview is fantastic, bring your mate. I didnt read the article, maybe I'm wrong. But I have seen and caught up with many long lose friends and made new ones.
Posted by Michael Blue, REALTOR - 760-889-8877, Encinitas/Carlsbad (Home Smart Realty West) over 4 years ago
I just read the link, sending invites to groups that match is smart. I think i may flunk twitter and goole+. Have some work to do.

Bill--The linked article was well written and to the point. The comments here are all over the map and show the diversity of opinion on AR. A real learning experience reading all this!

Posted by Carolyn Roland-Historic Homes For Sale In Delaware and S. Chester County PA, Carolyn Roland, GRI, CRS (Patterson-Schwartz Real Estate) over 4 years ago

Hi Bill, we agree.  We think the two major blunders are too much real estate on their personal page and too much wasted time on social media.

Posted by Bob Miller, The Ocala Dream Team (Keller Williams Cornerstone Realty) over 4 years ago

Amen!  I have recently "unfollowed" several local agents who bombard me (and their other friends) with 7-10 listing related blurbs a day!   Too much.  I go onto social media to see how everyone is doing, what their kids are up to, etc. and then I can connect and stay in touch socially.   Business doesn't have to overshadow every aspect of your life and you can still be successful.    Great articles and links.

Posted by Debby Singleton, Top Producer since 1993 (Springer Realty Group) over 4 years ago

Bill  I admit I am somewhere between a participant and a loser - closer to the loser side

Posted by Karen Kruschka, - "My Experience Isn't Expensive - It's PRICELESS" (RE/MAX Executives) over 4 years ago

Karen K:  If someone like you is called a "loser"... then I want to be a loser, too.  Hope you are well... have a great weekend!

Bill, great blog.  I agree that social media is about making relationships.  But, I also think it is good for marketing and advertising.

Posted by Pat & Steve Pribisko (Keller Williams Greater Cleveland West) over 4 years ago

Great post everyday I think more and more about social media its become a part of our business...

Posted by George P. Cruz Sr., PSL FL CDPE, TRC, CIPS (DR Horton) over 4 years ago

Great article. I was going to cover a similiar topic-and still may. I am sick of some of these self-professed real estate rock stars to talk up a game and brag about their business, only for me to research and find that they are not doing anywhere close to what they say. So, besides the lies, the 20 posts a day about their listings or sales or how they are the best also drive me crazy. I have disassociated my self with these people and have more on my list to do the same.

Posted by Jason Anderson, Realtor® (Mercury Properties) over 4 years ago

Thanks Bill for enlightening us. I suppose I need to go to social media school or something because I get nonw of this. Most all my friends are IE FB are old high school class mates and ex co - workers who I didn't really talk to anyway.

I do not understand the circles and groupie thing either can you recommend a book or class.

Posted by Charles Stallions, 800-309-3414 - Pensacola, Pace or Gulf Breeze, Fl. (Charles Stallions Real Estate Services ) over 4 years ago

Bill, I read your link.  Great information thanks for sharing all the knowledge with us on activerain. Ok I am done with open house, blogging, time for some windsurfing. Have a great day.

Steve Maui

Posted by Steven Nickens, R(S)GRI ABR, Maui Real Estate Hawaii (Elite Pacific Properties Maui) over 4 years ago

Steve - that sounds a heck of a lot better than anything to do with social media:)

Bill  I am still learning to climb aboard the social media bandwagon, but I think I'm improving

Karen I am sure you are doing just fine. Would love to see you interacting over at Google Plus!

Thanks Bill, for all the info on the full article - the importance of social media and building good relationship. Neat to know about the Zillow widget...won't do.:)

Posted by Jane Chaulklin-Schott, TeamConnect Luxury Homes - Orlando, Florida, 32836 (TEAMCONNECT REALTY - (407) 394-9766) over 4 years ago

Sure thing Jane! Yes many Realtors do not understand that it is not a good thing to be linking out to Zillow and others as it beefs up their rank in search results!

This is so true Bill. Instead of advertising myself as a real estate agent 24/7 on my personal FB which can be annoying. Now I try to message or talk to a friend on FB just to reconnect with them and let them know Im still here.

Posted by Kela Caspillo, Kela Caspillo (Kauai Dreams Realty) over 4 years ago

Very good move Kela! Social media for Real Estate does not have to be hard:)

Informative blog! Social media has been always a very best tool for promoting all kinds of businesses include real estate business, because the visitors flow and engagement rate of social media is much higher, when compared to other available media channels like TV, Newspaper or Radio.

Posted by Shapna Riyan, http://www.braxhomes.com (Brax Homes) over 2 years ago

I agree, social media is not for selling, it is for creating relationships= fans.

Posted by Inna Ivchenko, Realtor® • Green • GRI • HAFA • PSC Los Angeles CA (Barcode Properties) over 1 year ago